Thursday, January 7, 2010

WHAT I'M READING (IN THE NEWS)


I read 2 articles in the Wall Street Journal earlier this week:



I really liked these articles.  The first article may seem a bit redundant…everyone knows exercise is good for you, right?  Also, there have probably been thousands of other articles in print or online telling us that exercise is good for us.  So why is it necessary?  Well it seems that the health and overall well-being of the American people isn’t getting any better (and is likely getting worse).  So even though the information may seem like nothing new, I think it was timed perfectly.  Right now is the time of year when everyone hits the gym (sometimes just for a week or two, others until Spring Break), so I think it is the perfect time to start feeding people the positive vibes.

As for the second article, I think the general message is awesome!  Some exercise is good, more exercise is better!  Everyone seems to be so concerned with the minimum in terms of health and fitness.

For example, “You should get at least 30 minutes a day of exercise.”

Yeah, but an hour is even better!  Think you’re too busy?  I think the following cartoon sums things up nicely:



There were some pretty good quotes from the articles, so I’ll share two of my favorites:

THE HIDDEN BENEFITS OF EXERCISE

“Exercise can be used like a vaccine to prevent disease and a medication to treat disease.”

…AND WHY MORE MAY EVEN BE BETTER

“...exceeding the federally recommended exercise guidelines can reduce the risk of stroke, heart attack, glaucoma, diabetes and other diseases by as much as 70% above the benefits of merely meeting the guidelines.” [emphasis mine]

No comments:

Post a Comment