Monday, January 18, 2010

FOOD RULES CONT...

I posted a review of Michael Pollan's new book Food Rules in my last post HERE.

Food Rules: An Eater's Manual


In this post, I'm just going to list a couple of his rules from each of the three sections.  This isn't an exhaustive list (for that, just buy the book for $5), but rather a couple of my favorites:

WHAT SHOULD I EAT?
  • Avoid food products that make health claims.
  • Eat only foods that will eventually rot.
  • If it came from a plant, eat it; if it was made in a plant, don't.
WHAT KIND OF FOOD SHOULD I EAT?
  • Eat animals that have themselves eaten well.
  • Eat more like the French.  Or the Japanese.  Or the Italians.  Or the Greeks.
HOW SHOULD I EAT?
  • Pay more, eat less.
  • Eat when you are hungry, not when you are bored.
  • Spend as much time enjoying the meal as it took to prepare it.
  • Don't get your fuel from the same place your car does.
  • Cook.
MORE MICHAEL POLLAN STUFF

So far I have read 4 books my Michael Pollan and they have all been great.  In no particular order, I recommend all of the following:


He also writes for the New York Times Magazine (and other newspapers and magazines I'm sure), but one of his better articles is the following:



No comments:

Post a Comment