Saturday, October 24, 2009

RECOVERY - DAY 3

I took my first shower today!  I was definitely due for one.  I'm still not in any real pain, just general stiffness in my hip, and of course I'm not doing anything to test it either.

Here is the next picture in my beard and hair documentary.  You'll have to excuse "the do" as I was fresh out of my first shower and my hair just dried that way.  After looking at my Physical Therapy Prescription, it calls for 24 weeks of rehab, so that is how long my hair and beard will have to grow!


Beard - Day 3


I spent a good chunk of the morning and afternoon reading (The Fountainhead, by Ayn Rand) out in the front yard again.  I think I've actually been getting more natural light than I otherwise would on a normal day at the office.

I also just finished another ridiculous dinner...spaghetti squash with chicken, spinach, bell peppers, onions, garlic, and baby portabella mushrooms in a tomato basil sauce.  Yes, it was as good as it sounds.  As my Italian friend Anthony would say...eatta pasta runna fasta!!

While Lauren was out and about running errands today, she stopped in at CVS to scan the images that the doctor took with the scope-cam.  Be sure to click on each one and it will bring up the full-size image.  OK, now I'm going to try to describe these to you using my own numbering system...I'll number them 1-24, moving from left to right and top to bottom.  Oh, and in case anyone cares to know, the technical name for my operation is "Hip Arthroscopy with Labral Repair and Osteochondroplasty."



If you look closely at pictures 2, 3, and 4 you'll see some frayed cartilage...that's my labrum.  It was pretty messed up, but thankfully Dr. Muller is the man!




This whole next set (pictures 9 - 16) show a bunch of different progressions where he is cleaning up and suturing the labrum.



Look at the last four pictures here (21 - 24) and you can see a hole in my bone.  That's the cyst that I mentioned here.  I actually thought that the cyst was a fluid-filled sac on the surface of the bone, but it actually was in the bone.  When Dr. Muller was shaving down the bone to reshape the femoral head/neck, the cyst was exposed and he drained it.  That's the hole I just mentioned.  It is supposed to fill in with bone over time.  I sure hope so.

I'll detail my Physical Therapy Prescription tomorrow...but it looks really good and I'm anxious to get started!

No comments:

Post a Comment