Friday, October 16, 2009

FRIDAY TRAINING RECAP

UPDATE:  The same day I posted about looking for an Airdyne bike, I found one on Craigslist and went to go check it out!  It worked great (they have a reputation for being built to last) and looked solid too, so I bought it!  I did some intervals on it right when I got home because I have been very frustrated by not being able to do my usual conditioning work.  My interval session looked like this:


1 min warm-up
10 min of 30 seconds “on” and 30 seconds “off”
1 min cool-down

During the “on” portions I am going ALL OUT!!  During the “off” portions I am just going LESS HARD.  Even my “off” portions were hard.

I’m looking forward to doing some more Airdyne work when I get home tonight.

Friday October 16, 2009

Lately my training has included a ton of soft tissue work and prehab stuff.  I’ll continue this basic setup until my surgery (6 more days) and then I’ll have to modify again to accommodate my hip.  Here is what I did today:

EXPLOSIVE
A1 – Med Ball Slams 4x8
A2 – Side-Lying External Rotations 3x10

B1 – Double-Clap Pushups 4x4
B2 – Lying Knee-to-Knee Stretch 3x30 seconds

MAX STRENGTH
C1 – One-Arm Pushups 6x3,3,3,2,2,2 (each arm)
C2 – Quadruped Hip Extensions 3x10 (each leg)

Here is some footage of my One-Arm Pushups.  I’ve worked on them for a little while, so I have managed to progress to a decline variation (feet elevated) for triples and doubles.  I’m not going to failure since this is a max-effort variation.



The Side-Lying External Rotations are for my shoulders (simply preventative in nature) and in between every set I perform foam rolling on all soft tissue (technically it’s not foam rolling because I use a PVC pipe).  The Lying Knee-to-Knee stretch is to work on hip mobility in a minimally stressful way.  The more mobility I have going into surgery, the more easily I will regain it during rehab. The Quadruped Hip Extensions are for glute activation.  One-Arm Pushups are actually a full body exercise since you must generate tension from the tips of your fingers all the way through the tips of your toes.  Any part of your body that isn’t tense will act as an energy leak and therefore the net force you produce (the amount transferred from your points of ground contact to the center of mass) will be reduced.  The hips and glutes are a common area for leakage.

I’ll cap off the day with a mini workout consisting of Airdyne intervals!

No comments:

Post a Comment