Tuesday, December 8, 2009

POST-WORKOUT SHAKE

I just made an amazing discovery the other day...pumpkin is good in everything!!  And fortunately, pumpkin is ridiculously good for you.  High in fiber, full of vitamins and minerals (vitamin A and beta carotene in particular), and light on the calories (another high water volume food).




For about the last 4 or 5 years, I've had a protein shake after virtually every workout I've done.  It has evolved over the years to include more and more high quality ingredients while removing any "less good" ingredients.  The one thing I've always struggled with though is how to include vegetables in my shake.  The thought of a blueberry banana and broccoli shake is just kinda gross!  That's where pumpkin comes into play!  I always eat a ton of it around Thanksgiving and Christmas, but this year I am absolutely destroying it...I've been going through a couple of cans per week.  So here's the recipe for the greatest shake of all time:

Water (the amount depends on how thick you want your shake)
Vanilla protein powder - 1 heaping scoop
Milled flax seeds - 2 tbsp
Oats - 1/2 cup
1/2 Banana (frozen)
Canned pumpkin - 1 cup
Cranberries (frozen) - 1 cup

Try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment