Wednesday, December 30, 2009

HIP MOBILITY

I was doing some stretching earlier today and I must say I was pleasantly surprised when it came time to test out the flexibility and mobility of my right hip.  It is actually better than my left hip!  This makes me feel really good about my surgery (even though I obviously can't go back and undo it) and further proves that all along my tight hips were more of a mechanical problem (misshapen femoral head/neck) than a flexibility problem.

I have never been able to sit Indian-style, but my right leg can actually do it now!  It's still tight from the surgery, which means that over time it will continue to get better.  Combine that with the fact that I'm working hard on my flexibility and mobility and you've got yourself some mobile hips (or at least one, in my case).

This first video to demonstrate some awesome hip mobility is from Steve Cotter, and he's pretty ridiculous.  Check out that link and watch some of his other videos, particularly the one where he performs jumping pistols (single-leg squats) up onto a table that's about 3 feet high.  Ridiculous.

IDEAL HIP MOBILITY


This second video is of BJ Penn, the current lightweight champion of the UFC.  He's an insane athlete and if you watch some of his fights you'll see where his flexibility and dexterity really sets him apart from other fighters.  When he's grappling with other fighters, he can actually use his legs like arms to control the other guy in order to free up his own arms to apply choke holds and joint locks.  Pretty sick stuff.

RIDICULOUS HIP MOBILITY


I'm nowhere near his level, but I've got plenty of time to work on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment