Wednesday, September 30, 2009

WHAT I'M HAVING FOR DINNER TONIGHT

Just a minor deviation from my traditional "What I Had for Dinner Last Night" post...I couldn't wait until tomorrow since I am so excited about this meal (and the copious amounts of leftovers that will result)!

If you thought my instructions for baking fish and Brussels Sprouts were easy, then you are really in for a surprise this time.

Lentils w/ chopped onion, celery, new potatoes, and spinach

If you have a Crock-Pot, then I highly recommend using it!  I'm sure most married couples received one as part of their registry, but if not it will be the best $45 you ever spent!

INSTRUCTIONS:
Step 1 - Get out Crock-Pot
Step 2 - Put beans in said Crock-Pot with water
Step 3 - Chop veggies (whatever you like) and put in Crock-Pot
Step 4 - Turn Crock-Pot on
Step 5 - Leave
Step 6 - Come back 8-10 hours later and enjoy!

Perhaps the best part is when I first walk in the door after work.  The entire house smells freakin' great!!

There's a good chance that I will put some hot sauce on the lentils as well as drop a little meat in there too (we have left-over turkey tenderloin from last night).

The benefits of the veggies are pretty obvious, so I'll just highlight some of the benefits of the lentils:

High fiber (roughly 16g of fiber per 1/4 dry cup...that's INSANE)
Good protein source (roughly 13g of protein per 1/4 dry cup, which is very high for a legume)
Inexpensive (a pack of lentils at Kroger, which will make quite a few servings, costs approximately $0.60)

The history of lentils is actually pretty interesting too, so if you care to know more check it out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment