Saturday, September 12, 2009

THURSDAY TRAINING RECAP

*this training session was actually from September 3, 2009

Early this morning (alarm clock went off at 4:30am) I met a few of my friends at a high school football field for a workout. This field is incredible…it is actually an artificial turf field, but the next generation turf where it actually looks like it has blades of grass. Pretty impressive for a public high school. We have been meeting Thursday mornings for quite a while now, but this one is the Thursday before my 30th birthday! We added a little extra suffering to the mix as a way of celebrating!

Here’s what our workout looked like:

WARM UP
  • Foam rolling
  • Dynamic stretching

SPEED / AGILITY / POWER
  • Speed ladder drills
    • I recently watched a DVD called The 70 Best Quickfoot Ladder Drills and it made me realize how many incredible drills I have been leaving out of my speed ladder work. We included several of these new drills this morning and they didn’t disappoint.
  • Broad Jumps
    • 5 sets of 20 yards (these were done continuously with no pause between jumps for the prescribed distance, then rest)
  • Change-of-Direction Sprints
    • These started with a sprint, but then on the call of right, left, or back we would have to quickly decelerate and then accelerate in the new direction
CONDITIONING

RANDOM RUNNING (from Ross Enamait’s Full Throttle Conditioning)
ROUND 1
Sprint 30 yards and back
10 burpees
Sprint 30 yards and back
15 pushups
Sprint 30 yards and back
20 squats
Repeat as many as possible in 5 min
 
1 minute rest

ROUND 2
Sprint 30 yards and back
10 kb swings
Sprint 30 yards and back
10 plyo pushups
Sprint 30 yards and back
10 squat jumps
Repeat as many as possible in 5 min

1 minute rest

ROUND 3
Sprint 30 yards and back
15 med ball slams
Sprint 30 yards and back
10 burpees
Sprint 30 yards and back
10 lunge jumps

Repeat as many as possible in 5 min
 
**I was recently inspired by the book Born to Run to try running barefoot. As it turns out, I really enjoy barefoot training, so I try to implement it as much as possible. So basically whenever I am running on grass or turf (so long as it is the good stuff) I always go shoeless. It feels great!

No comments:

Post a Comment