Tuesday, September 15, 2009

WHAT I HAD FOR DINNER LAST NIGHT

*this dinner is actually from last Wednesday September 9th


I’m very fortunate that I married a woman who loves vegetables as much as I do, and we cook virtually every night!  In fact, she is solely responsible for getting me to start eating vegetables over 7 years ago!

We look at our cooking time as a way of doing something together that we both enjoy (perhaps with a glass of wine and some music playing on the iPod), and we are absolutely better because of it!  Anyway, this is a blog about nutrition, not marital advice, so back to the point…
A lot of people that I talk to make the same, commonly-heard excuses:

“I don’t have time to cook.”
“I don’t know how to prepare anything good.”
“I hate cleaning up afterwards.”

There are many others, and they are all crap!  First of all, plenty of meals can be prepped, cooked, and eaten in under 30 minutes.  How long do you have to wait if you go to a restaurant just to be seated?  Once you’re seated you have to wait for them to prepare the food anyway, so it’s really just pure laziness.  Of course fast food takes less time, but I shouldn’t even have to elaborate on that one.  Secondly, there are literally endless amounts of EASY recipes on the internet.  Can you read?  Can you follow directions?  Then you can prepare many tasty things.  As for cleaning up, yeah that does suck, but just quit being lazy and DO IT!  OK, rant over.
Last night Lauren and I cooked a ridiculously easy dish that was ridiculously good.  Baked cod with balsamic glazed Brussels sprouts!  Here’s how easy it was:

BAKED COD
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Place cod in baking dish and sprinkle with seasonings (we used a premade fish seasoning Roasted Garlic & Herb)
Bake for 8-9 minutes, flip over, bake for another 8-9 minutes

BALSAMIC GLAZED BRUSSELS SPROUTS
Steam Brussels sprouts for about 15 minutes (until desired softness is achieved)
Place Brussels sprouts in baking dish and sprinkle with various seasonings (we used garlic powder and herbs)
Pour desired amount of balsamic vinegar over Brussels Sprouts
Bake for the same amount of time that the fish is in the oven

Seriously?  Can you not do that?

I’ll try to remember to snap some pictures of these dinners that we cook and post them in the future.  I should also post my Wednesday morning omelet, which is huge and incredible.

3 comments:

  1. Personally I'd love to hear an educated rant about fast food - bring it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to hear about your nasty green gunge that you put in oatmeal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anon - ha! I'll start brainstorming about my fast food rant.

    Kelsey - who told you about my green sludge?

    ReplyDelete