Wednesday, March 17, 2010

TRAINING UPDATE

As I mentioned in a previous post, the doctor has given me the green light to resume full activities, and I have done just that!  Not only have I started training in jiu jitsu (I'm a white belt, and my gi just came in the mail...I'll take a pic when I get it back from the dry cleaners), but I have also started performing all of the lifts and explosive movements that I enjoy so much in the SHOP.

Although it has been a week and a half since my doctor's visit, I was finishing one of my 4-week cycles last week, so I waited until this Monday to switch up my training.  Here's what my workout looked like on Monday:

POWER
A1  Box Jumps
A2  MB Slams

STRENGTH
B1  Front Squat
B2  Chinups

C1  Bulgarian Split Squats
C2  Single-Arm Chinups (negatives)
C3  Standing Ab Wheel Rollouts

It certainly felt good to squat again, but I was extremely conservative.  I was front squatting only 95 lbs (for reference, before my surgery I was performing sets of 4 reps with 275 lbs).  I started that conservatively for a few reasons...first, this isn't a race and I've got the rest of my life to do front squats.  Secondly, by starting out even lighter than I actually could have, I allow myself to increase the weight linearly for quite some time.  I always like putting more weight on the bar, and I usually get pissed off if I have to use the same weight for a given exercise that I used the last time I performed it (even though constant linear progression is impossible).

Also, I had forgotten exactly how hard Bulgarian Split Squats are.  My first set really jogged my memory though!

Tomorrow morning (Thursday) will be my first morning track workout since back in September.  I'm fired up, and I'll definitely post a TRAINING RECAP similar to the ones back in the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment