Saturday, March 13, 2010

JIU JITSU UPDATE

I've been to two practices now...the first one was Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (BJJ) and the second one was "No Gi Grappling."  The main difference is the absence of a uniform in "No gi."  The techniques are more or less the same, however in BJJ you can actually use your own gi or your opponents gi in your favor (to grip onto, to control your opponents arms, legs, or body).  So far I have really enjoyed both types, and fortunately I don't have to pick just one.  I can go to as many classes as I want (they even offer kickboxing, which I will probably go to from time to time just to work on striking...no sparring though...well maybe).

I really like the way the classes are structured too.  After warming up, the instructor demonstrates a technique and then we partner up and drill that technique for a few minutes, making sure to cover both sides (offense and defense).  Next, the instructor adds the "next move" to the technique and we drill the 2-step technique now for several minutes.  Then, we try to apply these moves in more realistic scenarios (where your opponent is actually resisting).  By first learning the technique, then practicing it, and finally trying to implement it in a "game situation" we learn in the best way possible while also learning to adapt when something doesn't work.

In other words, you have to develop a game plan, but always remember that the game plan is not written in stone.  That reminds me of one of my favorite Mike Tyson quotes of all time:
Everyone has a game plan until they get punched in the face.
As for my hip, practicing these moves has really helped my mobility.  It has taken my hip through pretty extreme ranges of motion, but not in a violent manner.  As a result, I think it is actually improving my hip.  I was a little tentative at first, but after taking it slowly and making sure that I'm always nice and warmed up I am getting more and more confidence in my hip every day.  After practice today my hip felt incredible.  I think this is the most mobile my hip has ever been...not just since my surgery!

Eventually I'll be tested to progress from belt to belt (with stripes in between).  Maybe I can talk Lauren into coming to watch some of my belt tests and shooting some video!

No comments:

Post a Comment