Saturday, March 6, 2010

DESTINATION TRAINING

Lauren and I were in Copper Mountain, CO last weekend for some skiing (or snow-shoeing in my case) and we had a great time!  There was good snow, and of course it was really cold, but when you're prepared it actually feels great!  At times the temperature was as low as 6 degrees, but no complaints from us.

 

Lauren got to ski most of the time, but she did break away from the pack (her sister and brother and their significant others) to come do some snow-shoeing with me.  We also went over to the Frisco Nordic Center, which is just 5 miles down the road from Copper, to try out cross-country skiing.  We rented the equipment and then went out on the practice course to get used to it and work on technique.  Unfortunately, cross-country skiing did not agree with my hip!  On the curves, which were all left turns like a running track, my left ski would stay in the tracks but my right ski would wander outside of the tracks (in effect, opening up my right hip)...NOT GOOD.  After it happened twice, I decided that the risk wasn't worth it and I traded in my cross-country skis for snow-shoes again.  The Nordic Center had the best trails that I got to experience.  They were long, steep, and narrow with deep snow.  It was challenging to say the least!

In case you were wondering about the title of this blog post, the reasoning is simple...I didn't just walk with my snow-shoes on, I did hill sprints!!  What did you expect??



One afternoon, after a 3-hour long snow-shoe hike in the morning, I went back out to one of the hills and ran 8 sprints.  It was absolutely exhausting!

Lauren and I have more destination training coming up too!  Two of our friends are getting married in Utah in May, so we're going out there a few days early to spend some time in Zion National Park for hiking, mountain biking, and all kinds of other activities!

No comments:

Post a Comment