Sunday, May 23, 2010

MIKE TYSON AND ZION NATIONAL PARK

Q:  What do Mike Tyson and Zion National Park have in common?

A:  I saw both of them last weekend!!

First I'll cover Zion National Park...

I wrote the first installment of destination training about 2 1/2 months ago (HERE), and Lauren and I just got back Sunday night from the second episode!  This time we were in Utah (Springdale and St. George) trekking through Zion National Park!


On Thursday morning we drove to Springdale, UT, which is where the entrance to Zion is located, and we hiked for about 5 hours!  We went up to Angel's Landing, which was absolutely incredible!  Once you got near the top, the path was only 3-4 feet wide with shear drops on either side...kinda freaky, but badass for sure.



The second morning we woke up early and set out on a longer hike with greater elevation gain called Observation Point.  The morning started off pretty chilly (mid-50's) and we were in the shade for the first 2 hours!  Once we climbed high enough, and as the morning got older, we started to feel the sun.  It warmed up to a very nice mid-70's temperature and it was incredible.  Total distance round-trip was 8 miles, total hiking time was 6 hours, and total elevation gain was over 2,100 feet!  The peak featured some spectacular views as well!




Finally, to cap off a great weekend, guess who we saw in the Las Vegas airport while waiting for our return flight home...

MIKE TYSON!!


I took that picture of him, and I was actually next in line to get my picture taken with him, but his entourage told him it was time to move on.  DAMN!  I actually thought about getting some video of him knocking me out...that would have gone viral in under 30 seconds!!

In honor of Iron Mike, here are a few of my favorite quotes.  Enjoy!

"Everyone has a gameplan until they get punched in the face."

"My main objective is to be professional but to kill him."

"He called me a rapist and a recluse.  I'm not a recluse."

No comments:

Post a Comment