Sunday, January 30, 2011

A GUEST IN THE SHOP

I had the great pleasure of hosting a friend of mine in the SHOP a few days ago.  Bryan Guido Hassin, whose list of credentials is longer than my … well, it’s pretty long:  Rice alum with two undergraduate degrees in Computer Science and Electrical Engineering as well as a Master’s degree in Computer Science, an MBA from IMD in Switzerland, and a successful entrepreneur many times over.  Bryan was in town to pitch his latest entrepreneurial adventure (Smart Office Energy Solutions) to potential investors (I’m already an investor because I believe both in his business and his abilities).

Bryan stayed at my house while he was in Dallas, and of course my house rules clearly state that anyone who spends time in my house must also spend time in the SHOP before departing.  I put Bryan, along with one of the SHOP regulars Craig Stansberry, through a serious workout, and he recapped it in a serious blog post:

INTENSE WORKOUT AT THE SHOP

I love having guests in the SHOP, and not because I get to destroy them with a really hard workout.  For the record, Bryan was exhausted at the end of the workout because he pushed himself that hard.  Some of the movements may have been new to him, but he is no stranger to good, old-fashioned hard work.

Anybody can make someone tired (for example, go do 1,000 pushups), but my purpose with Bryan (or anybody else) was to help him improve.  As he concluded at the end of his blog, he learned three important lessons from just one SHOP workout:  the benefit of early morning workouts, the importance of pre-workout fueling, and the value in anaerobic activities.

Now, for your viewing pleasure, a short clip that shows some of the action.  A few things to note about this video:

a short training montage from the SHOP
  • It was 30 degrees outside (same temp in the SHOP), so we’re all in Under Armour and hoodies.
  • It was 5:15am, so there wasn’t any natural light (plus the garage door was shut)
  • My explosiveness is significantly greater than my other buddy’s (Craig Stansberry, professional baseball player).
  • My Flip camera’s battery was acting up, so we got very little footage from the workout.

That’s all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment