Monday, July 26, 2010

MARATON DE RIO DE JANEIRO - UN RESUMEN DE LA CARRERA


**This is a guest post from my sister, who just competed in the Maraton de Rio de Janeiro with her husband Federico**

You can find my other Race Reports HERE, HERE, and HERE.


Hola - from Argentina! Drew asked me to recap my race report, so here it goes... Federico & I ran the Rio de Janeiro Marathon (42Km) on July 18, 2010. Official Time: 4 hours 18 minutes 32 seconds (which is approximately 6 minutes per km). Not bad if I say so myself!


We decided we would embark on a 23 week training program and run the marathon crossing the finish line together (the couple who runs together, stays together!). Before I get into to the training & the race, I want to tell you that this whole experience has been something we will always look back on and think "we did it!... together!!" We selected the Rio marathon based upon the view of the beach, not too many inclines, a cool course/ experience, and a great excuse to go to Brasil.



As our Valentines Day gift to each other, we decided to start training on February 14! Here is a look at the breakdown of our "Distance Days"


1/ Feb 14 - 3 miles, 5 K
2/ Feb 21 - 3 miles, 5 K
3/ Feb 28 - 5 miles, 8 K
4/ March 7 - 5 miles, 8 K
5/ March 14 - 4 miles, 6.4 K
6/ March 21 - 6 miles, 9.6 K
7/ March 28 - 8 miles, 12.9 K
8/ April 4 - 10 miles, 16 K
9/ April 11 - 8 miles, 12.9 K
10/ April 18 - 10 miles, 16 K
11/ April 25 - 12 miles, 19.3 K
12/ May 2 - 10 miles, 16 K
13/ May 9 - 14 miles, 22.5 K
14/ May 16 - 12 miles, 19.3 K
15/ May 23 - 15 mile, 24.1 K
16/ May 30 - 18 miles, 29 K
17/ June 6 - 12 miles, 19.3 K
18/ June 13 - 18 miles, 29 K
19/ June 20 - 14 miles, 22.5 K
20/ June 27 - 21 miles, 33.8 K
21/ July 4 - 15 miles, 24.1 K
22/ July 11 - 13 miles, 20.9 K
23/ July 18 - RACE DAY, 26. 2 miles, 42 K


This is the same "Distance Day" training schedule I used for my first marathon in 2007.  I think this is a friendly schedule if you are not in the recent habit of running for over an hour comfortably. I might have used the same outline for my long distance days, however I made many changes in general training.  The biggest and most helpful change would be that I lift weights.  This is HUGELY important.  You do not train for a marathon by just running.  You MUST lift weights.  Your training (lifting & running) will vary as you go further into it, and you will have to adjust as your body responds to the many changes and demands.  I consulted Drew many times throughout my training to ensure my weigh lifting was "SHOP-approved"... I can say that for me, the squats had the biggest impact on my leg strength.  I have also recently dominated 75 push-ups, but that's a different blog!  23 weeks of training can be very monotonous, so make sure you add variety to spice things up.  Not only did my "SHOP-approved" weight lifting improve my race time by over 30 minutes (that's right - 35 minutes people! I crushed my first time), but it also improved my general health of my joints and ability to recuperate faster after long runs.  I previously experienced more knee pain, and longer periods of soreness after running.  This training I was able to bounce back sooner, and just dominate as well.  Thanks SHOP!



There is not one secret that works for everyone... just push yourself (on your runs, and in the gym), and listen to your body and make adjustments.

OK - now for the race day report!

We arrived to Rio on the 16th to some seriously stormy weather.  Thank goodness we had so many rainy training days!  We were very nervous about the weather.  One thing is to run in a little rain, it is another to run a race in fierce winds and torrential downpour!  Luckily, the rain stopped for the race!  Whew!

We woke up at 4am, and were at the bus by 5:15 am to take us to the start line.  The bus ride was about an hour long and took us to Recreio where we waited for over an hour.  It was quite chilly outside, so we hunkered down next to a heater.

The race started at 7:30 am, and we were off!  I was unfortunately already starving by 8am since I had breakfast at 4am (next time bring a snack).  Every course is different, and no matter what you prepare for, there will always be surprises that serve as more of a mental challenge than a physical challenge.  For example: the approximate 3-4 kilometer stretch where there was cobblestone every ten steps you took.  I hated this, and it made this stretch take forever (and at such an early part of the race).  But, we had constant views of the beach, which were quite nice.



The longest distance we trained to was 34 kilometers (21 miles), so we often hit a distance of 20 kilometers.  I felt so strong at the halfway mark.  I was mentally strong, and felt my legs just powering away.  The course was completely flat thus far, so we hadnt experience any "challenges" yet.  The only course surprise we had received was the total lack of crowd support.  There were no cheering stations, or cool shows set up.  We thought for sure there would be a "Carnaval Station" and a "Samba Station"... but no!  Thank God for the iPods!

Sailing through kilometer 22


This was both of our favorite part of the race.  Incredible views, and just feeling good (approx kilometer 24).

Sorry for the fuzzy pic - I was running you know!
 Federico and I both hit a slump around kilometer 33 when we entered Ipanema Beach.  I am not sure if it was the recent incline that took some steam out of me, or just some other reason.  Luckily we know better than to tell each other "I am dying", as the feeling of dying is contagious!  So, as I was dying, I looked at Federico who seemed perfect - and vice versa.  We made it through.  I knew once we hit the Copacabana we were so close to being there.  I was so focused on the need to see the final stretch that I dont think I once looked (or cared) about the beach while in Copacabana.  Ha!  Also, my power song came on just in time to get me going again!  Thank you Muse "Uprising"!


Once we hit the home stretch, we were so excited.  Every amount of pain that you feel in your legs disappears (momentarily) and you just love it.  We grabbed hands and raised them as we crossed!  WE DID IT!






Rocking the SHOP t-shirt with the Marathon Medal at the Corcovado - Cristo Redentor

No comments:

Post a Comment