Monday, February 8, 2010

WEEKEND RECAP

The Rice Alumni Baseball game was this past weekend (February 6th), and I got to see and catch up with a lot of friends that I haven't seen in quite a while!  It was a great weekend with perfect weather to be outside!

As you would expect, I had to get a workout in!  I went to the Outer Loop at Rice (my old running route), but I ran it a little differently than I used to.  The loop is approximately a 5k, so I broke it down into 6 3-minute sprints.  I know 3 minutes is not an all-out sprint, but I was running as hard as I could for those 3 minutes.  I took a 1 minute walk in between.

On Sunday, I waited until I got back in town to get my workout in.  It was a random assortment of things...lots of foam rolling and mobility/flexibility work, followed by glute/hip strengthening exercises, followed by some ab work:

Slideboard Planks

These are a much more difficult variation of the traditional plank, and it is much more effective (both in terms of the quality of the workout and the time spent).  I can't stand to just do planks for a longer period of time...not nearly as much fun in my opinion.

My conditioning was in the form of Minute Drills.  These are inspired by rosstraining.com, and it is basically this:

3 3-minute rounds with 1-minute rest in between.
Each round consists of 6 30-second periods:
Heavy Bag
Burpees (no jump due to my hip, I still can't do explosive work)
Sledgehammer
Heavy Bag
Burpees
Sledgehammer


Now I know my boxing skills leave a lot to be desired, but this isn't a boxing match.  I'm simply just throwing bombs because it is very metabolically taxing and will wear your ass out!

No comments:

Post a Comment